Jambalaya With Shrimp
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cooked ham, cut into strips
- 2 cups peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 3 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in onions, garlic, and ham; cook and stir until onion is soft. Stir in tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in oregano, rice, and broth. Cover, and simmer until just a little liquid remains.
Add shrimp, and stir to evenly distribute. Cook for 8 minutes, or until rice is cooked and shrimp turns pink.